|Front St. Church of Christ|
|'SEEKING TO SAVE THE LOST"|
WHY MORE PEOPLE DO NOT OBEY THE GOSPEL
Bro. Gus Nichols
1. Rom. 10:16: “But they have not all obeyed the gospel.” Why? Because of unbelief. Rom. 10:16, 17.
2. The gospel has no saving power for those who believe it not. Rom. 1:16; 1 Thess. 2:13.
3. Lk. 24:25. It is foolish to disbelieve in view of fulfilled prophecies. 1 Cor. 15: l-4; Rom. 1:1, 2.
II. THE GREAT MAJORITY OF THE PEOPLE HAVE NEVER BEEN WILLING TO SERVE AND
1. 1 Pet. 3:20; 2 Pet. 2:5. At the flood only eight were righteous.
2. Gen. 18:23-32. There were not ten righteous persons in Sodom.
3. Jer. 6:16; Neh. 9:30. They would not harken. Said, “We will not.”
4. Lk. 7:30. Many rejected the preaching of John the Baptizer.
5. Matt. 11:20-23 • 23:37. Many rejected the preaching of Jesus Christ.
6. Acts 2:38, 41. Only 3,000 obeyed on Pentecost — of hundreds of thousands. So, with the New
Testament period. Matt. 7 :13, 14.
III. BUT WHY WOULD ANYONE FAIL TO OBEY THE GOSPEL?
1. 1 Tim. 1:13; Acts 3:17; 1 Cor. 2:8. Ignorance keeps many in sin. Many of them do not know the truth.
2. Matt. 13:15, 23. Many close their eyes to keep from learning, etc.
3. Heb. 11:24-26. The pleasures of sin keep many from obeying the gospel.
4. 2 Pet. 2:14. Some are so deep in sin that they cannot turn.
5. Eccl. 8:11. Many go on in sin because they do not have to suffer the consequences immediately. (Like buying on credit — buy more than if paying cash — because of future pay day.)
6. Heb. 3:7, 8, 13; 1 Tim. 4:1-3. Some have sinned and sinned until their hearts are hardened and conscience seared as with a hot iron.
7. Jo. 12:42, 43. They did not follow Christ because they might lose the praise of men.
8. Acts 24:25. Some are waiting for a convenient season. They are lacking in conviction. It is not a matter of convenience! One must obey God even if it cost him his life. Lk. 12 :4, 5.
9. Lk. 12:51-53. Many are unwilling to leave their kin and friends — obey and take the consequences. Lk. 14:26.
10. Acts 3:19, 26. Many have sinned so much that they love the sinning business. The drunkard, those dishonest, those who curse and swear, those in adultery. Hard to repent. Jo. 3:19-22.
11. Lk. 16 :19-31. The rich man was in hell — he expected sinners to be taught by one from the dead — Lazarus sent back. Would not hear the Word. Wanted something else for them. Better obey Word!