"10 REASON WHY YOU SHOULD INVESTIGATE THE CHURCH OF CHRIST"
I. IT HAS NO CREED BUT THE BIBLE.
1. 2 Tim. 3:16-17—the scriptures furnish a man unto all good works.
1. Pet. 1:3—gives all things that pertain unto life and godliness.
2. The New Testament was the Apostles' Creed.
3. The churches of the New Testament were governed without human creeds. It can be done now.
II. IT BELIEVES IN SPEAKING WHERE THE BIBLE SPEAKS AND BEING SILENT WHERE THE BIBLE IS SILENT
1. 1 Pet. 4:11—it speaks as the oracles of God.
2. 2 Tim. 1:13—it holds fast the form of sound words.
3. Gal.1:9—it teaches nothing that the apostles did not preach.
4. We must teach and practice all the truth—nothing less. Acts 20:20, 26, 27; Rev. 22:19.
5. Not to go beyond the truth as revealed in New Testament. 2 Jn. 9
III. IT PLEADS FOR THE UNITY OF ALL BELIEVERS IN CHRIST, UPON THE BASIS OF THE WORD OF GOD AND THE ONE BODY
1. Jn. 17:20-21—Jesus prayed that all be ONE.
2. 1 Cor. 1:10—Paul pleaded for "speaking the same things."
3. Eph. 4:4-7-there is ONE body and the body is the CHURCH. Col. 1:18; Eph. 1:22, 23".
IV. IT WORSHIP LS FASHIONED ACCORDING TO THE NEW TESTAMENT PATTERN.
1. "In Spirit" - with sincerity. "In truth" - as the world of truth directs. Jn.4:24.
2. It opposes all items of worship not authorized in the New Testament. Mt. 15:9-the unauthorized is VAIN worship. Acts2:47 - continues steadfastly in the apostles' docrines.
3. The worship of the early church consisted of:
a. SINGING—Eph. 5:19; Col. 3:16.
b. GIVING—1 Cor. 16:1; 2 Cor. 9:7.
c. TEACHING—Acts 20:7.
d. LORD'S SUPPER—Acts 20:7. PRAYING—Acts 2:42.
"ON THE FIRST DAY OF EACH WEEK"
V. IT WEARS NO NAME BUT THE NAME OF CHRIST, AND OPPOSES ALL NAMES OF MAN'S INVENTION.
1. Acts 11:26-called CHRISTIANS at Antioch.
2. Acts 26:28—almost persuaded to be a CHRISTIAN.
3. 1 Pet. 4:16-glorify God in name CHRISTIAN. (R.V.S)
4. All to wear same name as Bible speaks. 1 Pet, 4:16
5. 1 Cor. 1st chapter condemns wearing human names.
VI. IT IS APOSTOLIC IN ITS ORGANIZATION, ELDERS AND DEACONS IN EVERY CHURCH OR CONGREGATION.
1. Acts 20:28—ELDERS to oversee the church.
2. Acts 14:23—ordained ELDERS in every church,
3. 1 Tim. 5:17-let the ELDERS rule well.
4. 1 Pet. 5:1-3—ELDERS to take the oversight and not lord it, Over God's heritage.
5. The church is not run by a majority rule or by popes, councils, conferences, etc., but as it's only Head, Christ, dictates through the apostles and oversight of the ELDERS.
VII. IT TEACHES THE GOSPEL, AS REVEALED AND CONFIRMED BY THE HOLY SPIRIT IS ABLE TO CONVERT SINNERS AND BRING THEM TO SALVATION.
1. Rom. 1:16 - the gospel is The Power of God unto salvation. 1 Cor. 15:2 - we are saved by the gospel. 1 Cor. 4:15- we are begotten through the gospel. Jas. 1:18 - we are begotten by the word of truth. Rom. 10:17 - Faith comes by hearing the word of God. Jn. 17:17 - we are sanctified through the truth.
2. God does not miraculously convert sinners by a direct operation of the Holy Spirit without, the word or gospel — hence MK. 16:15, 16. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved.
VIII. ALL OF ITS WORK AND WORSHIP IS DONE SIMPLY AS CHRISTIANS THROUGH THE CHURCH AND NOT THROUGH SOME HUMAN SOCIETY OR ORGANIZATION.
1. Eph. 3:21—glorify God in and through the church.
2. 1 Tim. 3:15—the church is the pillar and ground of the truth.
3. Mt. 16:18—Jesus built the church—it belongs to Him.
IX. IT TEACHES SINNERS TO DO ONLY WHAT THE APOSTLES TAUGHT THEM AND ALL THEY TAUGHT THEM IN ORDER TO THEIR SALVATION.
1. Rom. 10:17; Acts 16:31—they must believe.
2. Acts 3:19; 17:30-32; Lk. 13:3—they must repent.
3. Rom. 10:9, 10—they must confess Christ with the mouth.
4. Mk.18:16; Acts 2:38; 22:16; 1 Pet. 3:21—they must be baptized.
X. IT TEACHES CHRISTIANS TO REMAIN FAITHFUL TO CHRIST THE HEAD OF THE CHURCH LEST THEY FALL AND BE LOST.
1. Jn. 15:1-8—unfruitful branches to be cast into fire and burned.
2. 2 Pet. 1:5-11—if you do these things you shall never fall.
3. Rev. 2:10—the FAITHFUL receive a crown of life,
4. 1 Cor. 6:9—the unrighteous shall not enter the Kingdom of God.
IT WELCOMES YOUR INVESTIGATION